RWS Entertainment Group is currently seeking Technical Directors for experiential entertainment projects spanning theme park, cruise ship, corporate event and retail markets.
Reporting to the Director of Technical Services, the ideal candidate will be responsible to oversee, educate, and guide project teams in all technical aspects of the production process. This role is part administrative, part hands-on, and will lead in-house and contracted technical staff to ensure the successful and safe development, installation, operation, and strike of experiential activations. Top level view of job-site safety and proper installation practices are a main focus of this role.
Contract Term: Up to 24-week contract
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Ensure all technical aspects of the production work smoothly, efficiently, and safely.
- Provide organization and synthesis of technical and artistic information between the production divisions within RWS as well as clients and vendors.
- Manage projects effectively within a given budget.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with vendors, contractors, coworkers, and clients.
- Continuously remain on the cutting edge of entertainment technology, safety practices, and regulations.
- Ensure a safe working environment for staff, artists, patrons, contractors, and vendors.
- Maintain a sense of urgency and accountability with a strong ability to prioritize and solve issues efficiently.
- Convert designs into CAD drafting to translate the designer’s vision to working construction drawings for bids and builds as necessary.
- Prepare labor and materials estimates for proposals and productions based off of design drawings.
- Determine and communicate needs for selecting, ordering and purchasing materials for technical install.
- Generate technical manuals, guidelines, operation and installation instructions, and as-built documentation for use by internal and external parties.
- Manage project technical teams (in-house and contracted) by providing support, feedback, and clear communication to ensure project needs meet expectations, timelines, and budgets.
- Coordinate the schedules and resources of project technical teams for the timely execution of the install process. Re-negotiate timelines or schedules as necessary with any changes or unforeseen occurrences.
- Advance and book all rental equipment and materials purchases.
- Coordinate freight shipments, both international and domestic.
- Communicate with vendors, laborers, and client-based technical personnel for safe, expedient, and professional project organization and execution.
- Provide onsite supervision, leadership, and instruction to over hire and onsite crews in order to execute installations in accordance with designer’s vision and safe working practices.
- Plan, assign and schedule work, review work and ensure quality standards, train staff and oversee their productivity onsite.
- Acquire and demonstrate awareness of both RWS’ and the venue’s safety procedures including Emergency Action Plans, PPE Requirements, Lock-out Tag-out Procedures, and additional protocols.
- Educate and enforce project on-site personnel of safety practices through daily Safety Briefings at the start of each shift. Conduct continual Job Hazard Analyses throughout the day at the job site venue.
- Perform all aspects of work in accordance with OSHA, ANSI, and any other recognized standards of the venue.
- Ensure ongoing safe operation of heavy machinery and personnel lifts.
- Install elements in accordance with manufacturer’s recommendation, within rated load limits of the given system, and utilizing best practices recognized within the professional field for the given components.
- Troubleshoot and provide assessment for all aspects of technical production including, but not limited to, lighting, audio, video, projection, architecture, heavy machinery, simple machinery, personnel lifts, power tools, etc.
- Demonstrate understanding of all working aspects of the project and be able to explain such to various personnel involved (laborers with/without experience, clients, performers, etc.)
- Train venue management and technical staff in the proper execution, maintenance, and operation of the Experience for continuation of the run period after RWS and Seasonal Employee’s departure.
- Assist with overall production needs as reasonably requested.
- Understand that the position requires notable traveling (up to 50%) with evening, weekend, and holiday responsibilities depending on production schedules.
- Comfortability operating heavy equipment and hand tools while onsite, as well as standing for long periods of time, but often kneeling, bending, working from your back and at heights well over 50 feet.
Please Note: While this is intended to be an accurate description of the job, this is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills, efforts, requirements or working conditions associated with the position, and may require that other or different tasks be performed as necessary and assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Technical Theatre or equivalent experience required.
- Vocational or technical training in welding, engineering, rigging, carpentry, electronics, audio, construction, electricity a plus.
- 5+ years of experience in the technical entertainment field with minimum 2 years of specific focus on experiential installs and events. At least 2 years of supervisory experience required.
- Intermediate to advanced proficiency in Vectorworks or AutoCAD.
- Valid driver’s license and passport required.
- OSHA, IVES, First Aid, and additional entertainment certifications a strong plus.
- An extensive knowledge of safe construction and rigging practices in the theatrical and event production field, including awareness of dangers and hazards associated with job functions and a willingness to mitigate those risks.
- Knowledge of all technical elements associated with commercial and theatrical lighting, audio, and video production systems and installation.
- Knowledge of holiday lighting products, installation techniques, hardware specifications, and experience with low-voltage systems and installation.
- Demonstrated strategic, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills which exemplify the ability to troubleshoot, identify issues, and find reasonable solutions. The ability to offer analysis and decisiveness when making decisions is required.
- Experience building and maintaining budgets and cost estimates for a wide range of clients and price points.
- The ability to analyze technical specifications and advise on best practices for our clients.
- Expertise with power tools, ladders, heavy machinery, aerial work platforms, electricity, and all applicable OSHA and ANSI standards.
- Proven technical and mechanical skills, including experience with metal working, rigging, scenic construction techniques, and standard materials used in the entertainment and construction industries.
- Familiarity with pneumatics, automation systems, and portable power distribution.
- Experience creating technical drawings, two and three-dimensional drafting models, and instruction/operation manuals for users with various levels of technical understanding.
- The ability to work at heights in excess of 100’.
- Experience in training, supervision, and mentorship of crews with varying levels of skill across all phases of production.
- The ability to prioritize, multi-task, calmly and efficiently execute under tight deadlines, manage multiple projects, and work in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment.
- Exceptional attention to detail, safety, and organization.
- Excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to quickly develop trusting, productive relationships with clients, vendors, staff, and all partners.
- The ability to negotiate with vendors and discover creative solutions to keep projects on target and within budget parameters.
- Comfort working in all weather conditions, as needed with a willingness for physical labor
- A proven track record leading technical teams.
- Proficiency in MS Office and iWork applications.
- Loyalty, passion, and integrity.
- Self-motivation with the ability to work independently.
- A positive attitude.
At RWS, we believe our bold makers and mold breakers can come from any background. Our stage is open to all applicants, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status. RWS is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. test directory.